What we do?
What is the next step?
After an initial referral we will come out and meet the family. Appointments are made to suit you so that could be in the evening or at the weekend. If you would like to speak to other families who have used our service contact us to find out how we can put you in touch with them.
Statements from the Foundation for people with learning disabilities evaluation Feb 2013:
It was the first time I felt truly listened to
My son now has a life outside of his family
He has got more confident and is trying new activities for the first time without his family.
F&PT recruit staff by matching skills and interest with friendships in mind. A number of families benefit from sharing support hours as families find that Direct Payment funds go further, for example, when two friends go to drama together yet with only 1 support worker (after assessment of needs and with agreement from both families).
All staff aim to support friendships and are encouraged to identify 1, 2 or 3 friends in the community depending on needs.
We offer the following:
- volunteers & workers to support friendships in either the person’s home, at their friend’s home or out with their friends in the community
- to develop a wide range of everyday opportunities in the community to enable young people to live ordinary lives and to develop interests and new experiences
- to support families to have a break away from their caring role
- to support families through the changes from leaving school to the next steps into adulthood and to encourage families to build friendships with other parents
- to support families in recruiting staff and to share the cost with other families for activities with their friends
- to support friendships especially in the last year of school and college to help people keep their friendships
We are a recognized charity and were registered with the charity commission in December 2014. Our details are:
- Company Registered Number 8554307
- Charity Registered Number 1159584
In 2012 we were categorised as a social enterprise called Friends and Places. Since that time, so much work has been done and programs developed, we decided to incorporate Break with Mates and Friends and Places into Friends and Places Together.